Sunday, February 5, 2012

This Life Shouldn't Be all About Me

Hello,
So I read Philippians 2:17 for one of my devotions today and it reads as follows:

Philippians 2:17
17 Yes, and if I am being poured out as a drink offering on the sacrifice and service of your faith, I am glad and rejoice with you all. 18 For the same reason you also be glad and rejoice with me.

This was a really challenging verse for me and it still is. I decided to read the whole chapter of Philippians 2 and the whole chapter is a powerful passage. Here are my thoughts about Philippians 2.

Philippians 2:3-4
3 Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself. 4 Let each of you look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others.

Since being in Spain it has been really easy to only think about myself because I am trying to adjust to everything here, and I haven't made a lot of close friends. In this area I definitely need God's guidance and help because I fail miserably at doing this daily. At the same time finding balance between actually looking out for my own interests in a God-honoring way and being selfish is difficult, but with God anything is possible :)

Philippians 2:5-7
5 Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus, 6 who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God, 7 but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men.

Wow, I'm so thankful for who God is. He breathed the earth into motion and created the universe and created men out of dust and made women out of Adam's rib. And He rested on the seventh day to rest, so we should take rest in our lives too. This same God who made the universe sent His one and only Son to live as a human. Jesus lived a life on Earth and He put His glory aside and lived among the people and among the sinners. Throughout His life He was tempted in every way that we are tempted, but He did not sin :) And He made himself of no reputation here on earth. I think this really shows that living for Christ isn't about getting a good reputation here on earth, but it's really about bringing glory to the name of Jesus Christ no matter the cost. I don't believe Jesus intended all Christians to be well known individuals because when He lived on earth He was well known, but not loved by all and He lived as a servant, not a king, not a celebrity, but a servant. He was all about bringing the name of God higher and this is the life I want to live. I need to stop living for my own interests and living a life based on popularity. I owe everything to Him and this life is His anyway.

Think about this and where you are with this. I'm not trying to convert anyone by any means, but when I was reading today I just couldn't stop thinking about how powerful this message is and how different this life He calls us to live is from the world. Take care and God bless!

No comments: