Sunday, February 5, 2012

My Sojourning Adventure Update






Dear All,

Well after I blogged last week on Thursday we attended a culture night at Raices where people performed dances from their culture and people told traditional stories. A group of Americans and I also tried to teach them all the Electric Slide, which was a fun and funny experience!

Well we just had a week off of class off before our real classes begin. My week was really relaxed and I didn't do many things. I slept a lot, ate a lot, and read my Bible and journaled. On Friday the 27th of January we took our final test and then we were done with our class. Then on Monday we got our scores back and watched a sad movie about the war entitled 'La Lengua de Las Mariposas' (The language of the Butterflies). Last Sunday we went to Spanish service and I wanted to stay for the whole service even if I didn't understand the sermon, I just wanted to talk with people afterwards.

Then from Tuesday to Thursday we went to Almeria, which is by the southern coast of Spain. We ate a lot of pizza and McDonalds, but my roommate knows someone who lives there and she showed us her favorite spots. We visited the beach when the sun had started to set and it was absolutely breathtaking! And we went to a Cathedral in the city and the Alcazaba, which is an old military fortress and palace, it was free and really great. Then we also went to Capo de Gato national park, which was super super beautiful. The trip was short, but relaxing. We took a bus to get there and the views while we were on the bus ride were breathtaking! Here are some things I learned about Almeria:
-It's located in the biggest dessert in Europe
-They export a large amount of tomatoes and pepper to other countries within Europe
-Many Moroccans work at the greenhouses there
-One of the southern grooves in Spain is located very near this city

Then we went to Jovenes on Friday evening, which is a church service for young people. I enjoyed the worship time, but I didn't understand much of the sermon. We stayed afterwards and ate some delicious goodies and talked with people.

Then on Saturday I went to the el Meridor with my new roommate and the view was beautiful. We could see a lot of the city and the Alhambra and it's beauty. The walk back was chilly, but it was worth it. Then I went out for tapas with my two roommates last night, which was a fun time.

Well I'm going to get going, but tomorrow I start my real classes, which will all be in Spanish, so that will be a new challenge for me! Take care!

Oh yeah, one more thing, a description of the photos:
Photo 1: View from the Alcazaba in Almeria
Photo 2: Me at the El Meridor
Photo 3: The beach in Almeria
Photo 4: One of the views at Capo de Gato
Photo 5: Flamenco Lessons at the Culture Night

God bless :)

No comments: