Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Mi Vida en España




Hola Todos! Buenos noches a ti!
Well since last time I blogged lots of things have happened. Many of them are minor events, but nonetheless they are big parts of my life here in this past week.

Last Tuesday for Supper once again we had a delicious meal. It was oiled garlic toast and then we put soap over it. The way the soap soaked into the bread was really delicious. Also we had cheese and ham hot pockets and my guy roommates ate so many, which I don't blame them they were delicious. Then on Wednesday evening for an activity with our whole group we went out for tapas (appetizers that come free with drinks) with Spanish people. It was really fun! First we had to ask for directions to get to the place, so we could practice asking people questions. Then we just all talked and enjoyed drinks and tapas. I enjoyed some coke because I enjoy the coke here better than in the United States. I talked with one woman in particular and she was very kind. I understand most of what she was saying, but I mostly listened.

Then quicker than expected, the weekend quickly approached. On Friday I went to an all girls English Bible study, which was really really great! It was associated with Raíces, and you can check out their website here, but it's all in Spanish: http://raicesgranada.org/ They want to start a college ministry here! At Bible Study I learned that people in Spain are pretty closed off to talking about religion because of their history with religion, which is sad. Also that some people view religion as a dictatorship. These were good things to learn, but also sad things to learn. On Saturday I woke earlier than other weekends and studied and later that night I went to a jazz club and the music was in English and good! On Sunday I went to an English service at a Christian church and it was really good. It was so good to sing to God in English and hear a sermon in English because this hasn't happened in a church environment since I have been here!

Once again the weekend flew by quickly, but some new experiences awaited me on Monday. Monday my roommates and some other people went out for tea. I ordered Moroccan tea, which was delicious and we all received free blueberry cheesecake to share. The place we went was beautifully decorated. At Raíses every Monday they have English classes, so I went for about an hour. We talked about reading and it was really fun. It was encouraging to be with others that were learning another language as well because I'm doing the same thing. I would like to continue to attend every week. It's a good way to meet people and practice my Spanish and use my English skills to help people learn the language. Then on Tuesday night we went on a Scavenger Hunt because Raíses now has a team from Belgium visiting for a culture exchange. It was fun, but we didn't win.

Other things that aren't related to specific days or instances, but have to do with what I'm learning about Spain and what God is doing in my heart.

1. People in Spain don't say thank you very often except if they are in a formal environment. It's not that they're rude, it's just a part of their culture. For instance when my host mom cooks my roommates and I food it's not normal to say thank you for dinner, but it is normal to say thank you in many indirect ways.
2. It's very rare to say no. When someone does say no, it's better if they give a reason why they are saying no. Many times people don't say no directly, but say it indirectly.
3. I have been getting excited about Heaven lately because it's really exciting that we get the blessing of living with God forever when we die.
4. When numbers were first created the number you say is the number associated with the number of angles in the written number. For instance for two there are two angles and so on.
5. Water in general is expensive here especially hot water, but to buy water in stores is really cheap.

And now for some pictures:
Photo 1: My roommate and I at the night of tapas.
Photo 2: Sunset on the river.
Photo 3: The man at the tea place pouring our tea all fancy-like.

No comments: